There are plenty of great restaurants in Cape San Blas, Indian Pass, Apalachicola, Mexico Beach and Port St. Joe: To help you decide where to dine first, you will find menus to many of the area restaurants in the Guest Information Book located in each of our Barrier Dunes Vacation Rentals! You will also find a page in the book with guest comments about where they ate and how it was!
Cape San Blas / Indian Pass
- Conehead’s is located .2 miles (5 minute walk) from Barrier Dunes.
You can enjoy breakfast, or a GREAT burger, among other things, and an ice cream cone. They also have gift items! (You can walk, bike or scooter from Barrier Dunes to Coneheads--even the kids!) Pets permitted on outside benches while you are dining!
- Indian Pass Raw Bar Rt. C-30 227-1670 Wendy says "Our favorite, very informal and the kids love it." We enjoyed Indian Pass Raw Bar--if you can get Gator to shuck a few oysters :-) (Fritz and Cathy, Aspen CO) The Raw Bar was good--an interesting place (Jeanette and Bill, WI)
Great Place! (Alan & Angela), The Raw Bar was "an experience"! Not what we expected! (The Stewart, 4/05) We didn't try the Indian Pass Raw Bar until our last day, but we would have eaten there every meal if we'd discovered it sooner!(The Cassidy's, KS) CALL TO VERIFY HOURS!
- Cape Trading Post is just about 3 miles from Barrier Dunes and has everything from Wings & Pizza to wraps, subs and burgers. You can even buy groceries to take home and make your own great meal!
- Scallop Cove On Cape San Blas and close to Barrier Dunes! Enjoy Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner items, boiled peanuts and they will even make you a picnic to enjoy! Choices include Scallop Cove Gumbo, Fresh Subs made to order, Burgers, Dogs, and much more! Call ahead to 850-227-1573 and your order will be waiting on you!
- Triple Tails Oyster Bar, Seafood Market, Liquors & Gifts - 2413 C-30 A, Call (850) 227-7337 Come off Cape San Blas and turn left towards Port St. Joe. Will be on the left near Presnell's Marina
- Gracie O'Malley Pub & Eatery (REOPENED)-2238 C-30 A Call (850) 229-1779 Come off Cape San Blas and turn left. Will be a minute or 2 down the road on the left. Wonderful outdoor deck overlooking the Bay! I have heard that it allows dogs on the back deck...do call first to make sure this hasn't changed!
- Loggerhead Grill - CLOSED!
Port St. Joe, Florida:
- Beachcombers II. 108 First Street. 229-9779
Our menu offers 1 style of sandwich...large and fresh! Great pizza as well!
- Burger King. 601 Monument Ave. 229-7060
- Dockside Café (DOG FRIENDLY) (Port St. Joe Marina) 342 Marina Drive. 229-5200
Casual with views of the St. Joe Bay. Will pack lunches & have a kids menu! Open 7 days a week.
"It had good variety and a children's menu. The kids had fun because they could see the deep sea fishing boats coming in and look at what they caught." The Jacksons "We really enjoyed it! (The Rushbrooks 4/05) We ate at a lot of new places, Dockside Cafe was one of the best. Loved the food & the atmosphere & the price was reasonable. (Monnett Family 6/07)
- Hungry Howie’s 418 Monument Ave. (Hwy 98) 229-9222
- Joe Mama's. 406 Reid Ave. Downtown Port St. Joe. 229-6262 Open Lunch Tueesday - Sat. 11:30 - 2:30 and Dinner Tues - Thurs. 5 - 5 and Friday and Saturday 5 - 10. Hours are according to season and expand during busy times. Wide screen TV for those football games you can't miss :-)!
This is a new restaurant but I am getting RAVE REVIEWS regularly from guests! 6/11 Dennis Yara: We loved Joe Mama's in Port St. Joe. Great salad, pizza and pot of chocolate.
- Paul Gant's Bar-B-Q 227-1473
Any kind of BBQ sandwiches, chicken, steaks and ribs. Lunch and dinner. I haven't eaten here, but have heard from the locals that it's good!
- Pepper's Mexican Grill. 224 Reid Avenue. 229-8540.
Pepper's has TV's if you're wanting to watch a ball game! "Great Mexican food if you want something other than seafood---nice atmosphere in downtown Port St. Joe!" Rita Sikora (winter 2008) - One our our favorites. "We've been twice already (in 3 days) and the girls love it." Sharon Goodman March 2008.
- Port Inn. 501 Monument Ave. Port St. Joe 850-229-7678
Enjoy breakfast at the Port Inn from 7 - 10 a.m. 7 days a week. All you can eat and drink for $5!
- Provisions. Reid Ave. 229-9200
Lunch Monday - Friday 11 - 2 and Dinner Wednesday - Friday 6 - 9:30. Join us on Thursdays for our special Tapas Menu from 6 - 8 pm.
- Sister's Restaurant 236 Reid Avenue. 229-7121.
In historic downtown Port St. Joe. Sandwiches and salads. Breakfast and lunch.
- Subway. 101 Monument Ave 229-8883
- The Great Wall 501 5th St. 227-9999 Very mediocre Chineese! (Wendy Jackson 1/08)
- Sunset Coastal Grill 602 Monument Ave. (Hwy 98) 227-7707
City pier can be seen from nearly every seat in the place. Serves seafood, steaks and chops, chicken and pasta. Open 7 days a week. Lunch 11 - 3 and dinner starting at 5. "Best dinner we had all week!" (K. Simms, Atlanta, GA 5/05). "We ate there twice and really liked it!" (The Shooks 10/05) One our our favorites. Rita Sikora (winter 2008)" Loved Sunset Coast Grill! The Freeburgs 3/08. "We ate there the last night in Florida & had a spectacular meal (and drinks!). The Wheelers -March 2008. "It was excellent".Donna Swilley 6/08
- Ronnie B's Steak and Seafood 114 Sailors Cove (by the Piggly Wiggly and Port St. Joe Marina) 227-1386
Wide selection of mouthwatering entrees including fresh local shrimp, scallops, oysters, and steaks in a cozy, inviting atmosphere. Open at 4 every day but Mondays.
Apalachicola, FL (also called Apalach by the locals!):
- AJ'sNeighborhood Bar and Grill. 120 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. 850-653-2571
Apalachicola Seafood Grill and Steakhouse 100 Market St. 850-653-9510.
Very casual atmosphere--home of the worlds largest fish sandwich! Enjoy a grouper sandwich, shrimp, oysters, hush puppies and much more. Grilled or fried to perfection. Closed on Sundays! Lunch, Dinner and Take Out. Hours: Mon. - Sat. 11 - 9. Dog Friendly!
Rita Sikora (winter 2008) - One our our favorites
- Bay City Lodge Bay City Road 850-653-9294
Breakfast, Dinner and Take Out
- Boss Oyster 123 Water St. 850-653-9364
According to 1 guest we had... may allow your dog on the deck...please call first!
Dining on the Apalachicola River. Enjoy raw oysters, baked oysters, oyster Rockefeller, Oyster Monterey, Oyster Jalapeno or design your own baked oysters!
Boss' in Apalachicola is a great place! (Alan and Andrea, GA 5/05). We ate there twice and really liked it! (The Shook's, GA 10/05) Eat with a view of the bay and the boats!
- Breakaway Restaurant Waddell Road 850-653-9988
- Cafe con Leche. 850-653-2233. 234 Market Street & Avenue D.
Fusion of the best organically grown dark roasted coffee, homemade sandwiches and fresh pasteries all in a settin gof a unique boutique of local artists.
- Caroline’s On The River 123 Water St. 850-653-8139.
On the water on the bank of the Apalachicola River. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Rita Sikora (winter 2008) - One our our favorites!
- Chef Eddie’s Magnolia Grill 99 11th St. 850-653-8000
Elegant dining - enjoy gourmet chef's delights that include a variety of favorites like prime rib, oak grilled steaks, grilled shrimp, rack of lamb, gumbo and delectable deserts. Dinner only starting at 6. Closted on Sunday. Outside dining available. Extensive wine list and childrens menu available.
- Delores’ Sweet Shoppe 29 Ave. E 850-653-9081
Breakfast and Lunch. Salads and desserts.e
- Hole in the Wall Raw Bar 23 Avenue D 850-653-3222
Serves fresh seafood, homemade soups and casseroles, Apalachicola Oysters, crabs & shrimp, daily specials, beer & wine. Open Wednesday from 3-9 p.m., Thursday - Saturday from 12 - 9 and Sunday 5-9. * Dog Friendly!
- Old Time Soda Fountain 93 Market St. 850-653-2606. Cute Old Fashioned Store! Has lots of shells, T-shirts and other gift items! The kids enjoyed poking around the shop and we enjoy our cones too! (The Jackson's 8/10)
- Papa Joe’s Oyster Bar & Grill 301 Market St. 850-653-1189
Waterfront dining on the Apalachicola River. Full oyster bar. Closed on Sunday. Lunch and dinner. Our favorite restaurant was Papa Joe's in Appalach. (Fritz and Cathy, Aspen, CO 11/04) Enjoyed a GREAT lunch at Papa Joe's--the Oyster Po Boy was outstanding, but so was everything! (The Jackson, November 2007). "Went to Papa Joe's tice...YUM!" The Freeburgs March 2008
- Risa’s Pizza 83 Market St. 850-653-8578
- Tamara’s Café Floridita Market St. & Avenue D. 850-653-4111
Caribbean/South American dishes served in an old-town setting. Relaxed atmosphere and eclectic mix of flavors blend into savory dishes like pecan encrusted grouper, paella, pastas and vegetarian dishes--food from the Gulf with a Caribbean flare.
- That Place in Apalachicola. Corner of Commerce & Avenue E next to the Dixie Theatre. Call 850-653-9898 for reservations. Open Monday through Saturday from 11:00 - 9:00 and Sunday from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- The Gibson Inn 57 Market St. 850-653-2191
- The Great Wall 133 W. Hwy 98 850-653-8888
Lunch and Dinner. (not my favorite!)
- The Hut Restaurant 426 W. Hwy 98 850-653-9410
Casual family waterfront dining serving fresh seafood, steaks, chicken and pasta. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.
From Lynn 'Last night we ate at The Hut. It was delicious.' "Very fresh seafood (The Lattners 5/05)
- The Owl Café 15 Avenue D 850-653-9888
Local seafood, steak and pastas and an excellent wine list. Lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Serving the ocean's finest crab cakes, crab dip, Apalachicola oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials and desserts like chocolate mousse and caramel flan that melts in your mouth!
I have heard the Owl is one of the best restaurants on the Panhandle and a local favorite. Serving the ocean's finest crab cakes, crab dip, Apalachicola oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials and desserts like chocolate mousse and caramel flan that melts in your mouth!
"The crab dip is out of site" Burt and Joyce Wagnon October 2007
- The Red Top Café 238 W. Hwy 98 850-653-8612
Family style restaurant serving steaks, seafood, sandwiches, chicken & kid's meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Closed Sunday and Monday.
- Up the Creek. 313 Water Street 850-653-2525 * Pets welcome
Open Noon - 9:00 everyday. Apalachicola Bay Oysters, shrimp, crab legs, local clams, Conch Cakes or Seagull Wings along with everyhing from Gulf Grouper to a variety of sandwiches and burgers. Dog friendly dining on the porch!
- Verandas Restaurant and Wine Bar. Upstairs at the corner of Avenue D and Market Street (US Hwy 98). 850-653-3210. Per 1 guest, may allow your dog on the deck...please call first!
Overlooking historic downtown Apalachicola. Signature pastas, salads, soups, steaks and more.
Mexico Beach / St. Joe Beach, FL: (all area codes are 850 and Mexico Beach is on Central Standard Time!)
- Amanda's Bistro. 2904 Hwy 98. 648-5102. Featuring a European/American style cuisine. Call for reservations for our weekend dinners. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tuesday - Saturday. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Beer and wine served.
- Beach Pizza 3200 Hwy 98 648-4600
Lunch, dinner and take-out. Outdoor seating.
- Fish House Restaurant. 3006 Hwy 98 648-8950
"The freshest Seafood from the Gulf of Mexico"
- Killer Seafood 820 Highway 98 648-6565
Lunch and Dinner.
- Mango Marley's. 3104 Highway 98.
Great fried and steamed seafood or enjoy burgers and wings while you watch the big games. Fully liquor bar.
- Ruby Rumrunners. In the Mexico Beach shopping center, down from Ace Hardware. 850-648-1111. Family friendly bar and grill open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Enjoy wings, burgers and seafood.
- Regans Pub & Oyster Bar 8066 Hwy 98 647-2800
Great oyster bar as well as other fine gulf seafood. Very casual restaurant on 1 side and a lounge on the other if you want to enjoy pool, darts and a jukebox.
- Sharon’s Café 1100 Hwy 98 648-8634
Breakfast and lunch spot on Mexico Beach which features the giant Happy Face Pancake.
- Subway Express. 714 Hwy 98. 648-8840
- Toucan’s Restaurant 812 Hwy 98 648-8207.
Serves fresh local seafood, Apalachicola oysters and live Maine lobster. Located on the beach and has an outdoor volleyball court. Fun for the kids! Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. Happy hour daily from 4 - 6.
It was so so compared to Boss Oyster and Sunset Coastal Grill! The Shooks 10/05. Right on the beach with an outside sand volleyball court to entertain the kids (and adults)--fun atmosphere! The Jacksons 10/5. Toucan's has live bands sometimes and all you can eat steamed shrimp one night during the week! Definitely one of the better choices for large groups! "Toucan's was another big hit with everyone in our group." The Monnett Family 6/07
NOTE: You will find all of this information and also MANY of the menus in the Guest Information books provided in all of our rentals! Please call first to double check hours and openings!
For your "beverages" of choice, try, The Port Fine Wines and Spirits just past the Port St. Joe Piggly Wiggly and on the right (opposite side as the Pig!).
- Crooked River Grill 151 Laughing Gull Lane. 850-697-9070.
- Julia Mae's 1558 Highway 98 W Carrabelle, (850) 697-3791. Wendy says: Julia Mae's is closed! We never ate at Julia Mae's and Carrabelle is a haul (about 50 miles) from our place. But it is many folk's favorite restraurant. It's was a causal, family oriented fish house with awesome home made pies. Maybe they will reopen somewhere else.
WHERE TO BUY FRESH SEAFOOD TO ENJOY WHILE YOU'RE AT CAPE SAN BLAS OR TAKE HOME
Allen's Seafood . (850) 653-9882. 462 W. 98, Apalachicola, FL.
Family owned and operated! We offer fresh local seafood~ Fish, Oysters, Shrimp, and Crabs. They sell fresh oysters (30lb or 60lb bags) in the shell. They also sell shucked oysters, pints and gallons. Also have shrimp, grouper,and other fresh fish! Call or E-mail us email@example.com. We pack for travel with advance notice .
St. Joe Shrimp Co. 850-229-6224. We pack for travel. Fresh shrimp, grouper, oysters & crab. Located 4 miles south of Port St. Joe on Hwy. 30A just past Simmons Bayou Bridge.
Nearby grocery and convenience stores:
Although Cape San Blas is quiet, peaceful and without the dense high rise condo’s of Destin or Panama City, it does not mean that you can't find “the basics” on the Cape. There are 2 outlets on the Cape San Blas, FL for groceries and other “beach basics”:
- Scallop Cove: You can get gas, convenience store basics, general beach and camping and fishing supplies, beer wine and some produce. You can also rent anything you need for your beach vacation: Canoes, kayaks, crab traps, fishing supplies, videos and much, much more! Scallop Cove rents grills and diver down flags if you have the need! It also has hot dogs, seafood gumbo and hand-dipped ice cream cones if you need a snack!
- The Tradin' Post: It's near between Scallop Cove and offers much the same as Scallop Cove. Wendy says: They make their own pizza for carry-out AND fresh donuts! Just call them at 229-8775.
- Piggly Wiggly: If a full-service grocery store is more of what you need, on the way into Cape San Blas, FL you can stop at the Piggly Wiggly in either Port St. Joe, FL (20 min) or Apalachicola, FL (25min.). Great place to stop on your way in!
Guest Comment: We thought the Piggly Wiggly is a 1000 times better than the Kroger's in Lexington. Everything I cooked from there was so much better and not because we were on vacation! It really was! Gina and Gavin June 2006) ** Piggly Wiggly does have GREAT seafood! Just a fresh as anywhere you can find it! Locals just call it The Pig!
Back to HOME Page
FULL PHOTO ALBUM OF THE AREA
The Indian Pass Raw Bar is close by and a favorite of locals and the Jackson Family! Very casual!
Of course, you can always catch your own dinner in a variety of ways:
Surf fishing right in front of Barrier Dunes!
Crabbing is one of our favorite activites and meals! This is one of our guests showing off her catch!